CCC's Curious Kitchen
Claire ChuTeaching since Aug 2020
Hi there, and a very warm welcome to you! I’m Claire (a.k.a. CCC), and I’m so excited to share my perspective of baking with you. My day job is in a biology research lab, but in my free time, I seek a scientific understanding of baking that helps me pinpoint problems, tweak recipes, and make decisions in the kitchen. I also love explaining these concepts to whoever is willing to listen. In my classes, I not only explain how to bake, but I also explain why in a way that is engaging and accessible to bakers and scientists alike.
Although my mom baked every so often when I was a kid, it wasn’t until I got to college that I started searching for recipes and reading baking blogs. My favorite blogs elaborated upon the science behind the roles of each ingredient, but as a chemistry student, I always wanted to know more about what happened at the molecular level. As I spent more time in the kitchen, I came to see baking as delicious demonstrations of the abstract theories I was learning in my science classes. Now, my favorite bakes are those that push me to try new techniques and recreate different scientific concepts at home. It takes a few tries sometimes, but I still get giddy every time I peek in the oven and find something amazing. It’s like I’ve confirmed the science! I hope my classes will bring that excitement into your kitchen as well as you become a more mindful, confident baker. I can't wait to meet you! In the meantime, you can connect with me on my blog, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, or Pinterest!
Some more fun facts about me:
- I also studied psychology and linguistics in school
- Other hobbies of mine include reading, knitting/crocheting, and dancing Lindy hop, which is the style of swing dance that was popular in the 1930s
- I currently live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- I’m Taiwanese-American and bilingual in Mandarin and English
- My favorite food is bread (but, like, good bread), my favorite ice cream flavor is cookies and cream, and pigs are my favorite animal!